Aluminum PEX or PEX-AL-PEX, as it is commonly known as, is another version of the popular PEX pipes. The basic difference between Aluminum PEX & standard PEX pipes is that the former sees use of metal in its production while the latter does not have metal in it in any form. These types of PEX are basically a type of composite pipe where an aluminum layer has been sandwiched between an outer & inner layer of PEX. You can say Aluminum PEX combines the good features of both traditional metal pipes & standard PEX pipes into one composite pipe.
So why should you use Aluminum PEX when you standard PEX offers you most of the things that you need from a pipe or a plumbing system? Well, the answer lies in that statement. It offers you most of the things but not all. That is where PEX tubes made of aluminum comes in.
Now let us give you a glimpse into the various uses of Aluminum PEX & why you should be using it.
Uses of PEX-AL-PEX:
- Cold & hot water distribution: PEX pipes made using aluminum are ideal for hot & cold water distribution. Because of its build, aluminum PEX resists water pressure & temperature better compared to standard PEX. It can resist temperature of up to 100 degree Celsius without any problem. That is because; the polymer reinforced with aluminum helps the pipe hold up to higher temperature better.
- Solar system, refrigeration & air-conditioning system: Aluminum PEX is extremely resistant to frost damage. That’s why these are ideal for use in refrigeration, air-conditioning etc.
- Underfloor heating systems: The design of PEX-Al-PEX pipes is such that they can be installed for a longer length without any fittings. For instance, there are aluminum PEX pipes which can be installed up to 200 meters without any fittings. This feature of PEX aluminum pipes makes them suitable for underfloor heating systems.
- Gas & Air distribution: The built-in aluminum layer of PEX-AL-PEX pipes enables them to withstand higher atmospheric pressure & thus prevents oxygen or other harmful gases from entering the pipes.
- Medical usage: PEX-AL-PEX pipes are hygienic & leak proof which makes them suitable for usage in the medical field.
- Usage in food industry: Since Aluminum PEX pipes are leak proof & have a high degree of resistance to pressure & temperature, they can be used for transporting food items. Their high degree of resistance to pressure & temperature prevents the foodstuffs from getting contaminated in any way.
So these are the various uses of PEX-AL-PEX pipes. The biggest factor that goes in favor of aluminum PEX pipes is the fact they can withstand pressure & temperature much better than standard PEX pipes which makes them quite suitable for areas with extreme weather conditions. Yes, PEX-AL-PEX pipes are a little expensive than standard PEX pipes. But, hey, given the features they have, it’s worth it.